Blood Cancers: Myeloma, Leukemia and Lymphoma
Patient-Driven, ‘One Stop’ Outpatient Care
The University of Cincinnati Cancer Institute Hematologic Malignancies Program’s treatment philosophy is driven by the patient’s holistic needs—medical, spiritual and social. All treatment decisions are made in partnership between the care team and the patient, family and other caregivers, starting with initial diagnosis and throughout the complete care cycle.
Unlike many bone marrow transplantation programs, the UC Cancer Institute offers treatment in a “one stop” outpatient day hospital setting, designed for patient comfort and convenience while also reducing the risk of infection by keeping patients out of traditional hospitals.
All aspects of care and testing occur on the third floor of the Hoxworth Building, 3130 Highland Ave., in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Testing (blood, urine, others) and other monitoring through Hoxworth Blood Center
- Clinic visits with our physicians and oncology-certified advanced nurse practitioners
- Outpatient chemotherapy
- Outpatient bone marrow / stem cell transplantation
- Outpatient stem cell collection (self and donor)
- Comprehensive support services (appointment scheduler, social worker, financial counselor, nurse coordinator, nurse educator and dietitian)
- Patient education library
Consultation appointments from other medical subspecialties and an outpatient pharmacy are also available in the same building to ease patient scheduling and travel.
Patients requiring hospitalization are admitted to a state-of-the-art inpatient unit at the UC Medical Center dedicated to patients with hematological malignancies, including those undergoing peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. UC Medical Center is consistently ranked as a “best” hospital by U.S. News & World Report and is accredited by the Joint Commission.
Rehabilitative care is provided at Drake Center, a premier provider of long-term acute care offering a complete range of inpatient and outpatient services including medically complex care, ventilator weaning/pulmonary care and diagnostic services, skilled nursing, assisted living and wellness services.