Nearly 40 medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons and radiologists are dedicated to some aspect of cancer diagnosis and treatment through UC Health. The team sees patients both in Clifton as well as West Chester.
Our specialists include physicians with expertise in hematology and medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology (breast, lung, colorectal, liver, genitourinary, gastrointestinal, skin cancer, etc.), gynecologic oncology, radiology (diagnostic/interventional therapy), dermatology (Mohs surgeons), pathology, urology, otolaryngology (head and neck cancer) and oncology nurses.
Diagnostic Imaging Services
Breast imaging―digital mammography, MRI-guided and stereotactic breast biopsy, ultrasound
Dual energy and wide-bore computer tomography (CT) for treatment planning
Position emission testing (PET)
Dynamic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Combination PET/CT scans
UC Health is the only center in the region to offer a procedure known as Therasphere for the treatment of advanced, inoperable liver cancer. This approach involves delivering highly targeted radiation from inside the patient’s body via millions of tiny radioactive glass beads injected into the blood vessels feeding the liver tumor to control advanced, inoperable liver cancer.
Radiation Oncology Treatment and Planning
UC Health offers an extensive range of sophisticated radiotherapy techniques designed to minimize unnecessary exposure and damage to healthy surrounding tissues, including:
- TomoTherapy (highly targeted radiation therapy guided by 3-D real-time images to minimize damage to healthy surrounding tissues)
- Brainlab Novalis radiosurgical treatments in which high doses of radiation are delivered to precise intra- and extra-cranial targets noninvasively
- Intensity modulated radiotherapy (Philips Medical Systems Pinnacle3) that incorporates pre-treatment visualization tools for identifying soft tissues and vascular connections surrounding tumors
- Varian Trilogy system (highly targeted radiation therapy guided by 3-D real-time images to minimize damage to surrounding tissues with on-board imaging and radiosurgical capability)
- Flexible laser scalpel neurosurgery
- Xstrahl100 Superficial Treatment System (dual-purpose linear accelerator) to treat superficial cancers, such as shallow skin cancers
- Varian's High-Dose Radiation System for brachytherapy (implantable radiation seeds)
- Eyeplaque treatment and low-dose seed treatment
Appointments are available in Clifton at the UC Health Barrett Center– (513) 584-4775 and in West Chester at Precision Radiotherapy – (513) 475-7777.
UC Health has a large team of highly-trained hematologists and medical oncologists that provide state-of-the-art care to patients with a variety of different cancers. Each of these physicians specializes in one or two cancer types and is nationally and internationally known in their respective fields. They also dedicate considerable effort to conducting cutting-edge research in the specific cancers in which they specialize.
Our multidisciplinary team approach pairs oncologists with surgical and radiation oncologists who share the same disease-specific expertise.
UC Health offers modern intravenous therapy facilities at each of its sites. Treatment chairs are equipped with individual entertainment systems for patient use. Patients receive their standard or experimental chemotherapy treatments from highly experienced nurses in a relaxing and supportive environment.
Patient Support Services
UC Health has a team of dedicated professionals that includes physicians, nurse practitioners, social workers and chaplains who help patients cope with the challenges of their disease. Services include pain management, symptom control, social work and spiritual support.
Although the majority of the services provided by this team are typically delivered during the terminal phase of a patient’s illness, the members of this team are available to help any patient who might benefit from these services regardless of the stage of their disease.